Monday, May 10, 2010

The Cay by Theodore Taylor, Book Review by Katie

I liked how the author showed the way the main character, Phillip, used his senses and learned how to keep himself alive on the island. I also liked the way Phillip and Timothy, also a main character, got along.

I chose this book because it was my favorite book so far this year.

A boy named Phillip had to leave his home because the Germans were about to bomb the island he lived on. When he was on the ship with his mom, a German submarine exploded their ship. Phillip was separated from his mother and a man named Timothy was put on the same raft as him. Timothy had saved Phillip. On his way falling off the ship, he hit his head and it damaged a certain muscle in his eye. He became blind. Phillip and Timothy now had to find an island quickly. Once they found an island, many weeks later, they had to make themselves a hut and make a signal fire. Many times they heard and saw planes, but did they get ignored or was it a success?

3 comments:

  1. Jonathan also commented on the Cay....

    The book I chose was the cay.

    What I liked abut the book was that Timothy and Philip found a island and Philip got rescued from the island.

    I chose the cay because it looked interesting to read.

    A summary of the book is there was a war and 2 people got lost and drifted to an island and they lived there 1 person died the other person got rescued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan did not like this book...see what he says...

    I didn’t like this anything about this book. I didn’t choose this book at all I was assigned it. This book was about a boy who gets on a boat with his mom but he gets torpedoed. Then they get separated. Philip is stuck with a black man named Timothy and he is blind and Timothy has to help him to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris really liked this book....

    What I liked about this book was the description the details and the characters. The characters in this book are courageous but sometimes scared.

    This book was assigned to me in Spanish class and I think it is a very good book.

    This book is about an eccentric man that believed lots of fairy tales. One day he climbs into his attic and finds a dusty suit of iron. He starts to think he is becoming a real knight. He meets a gullible man named Sancho Panza who becomes his squire. Sancho and Don Quixote go on a lot of dangerous and sneaky adventures. What will happen next.

    Rating: 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete