Monday, May 10, 2010

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne, Book Review by Meaghan

 This book was very good.  It showed tons of friendship between two boys who weren’t meant to be friends.  It also showed scenes from the holocaust and it was very interesting. It was an adventurous book. I liked the dialogue between the characters and the characters were people who you wish there were more of in this world.

    I chose this book because we were studying about the holocaust and I thought it might be a good book to read to learn more. I also have heard really great stuff about the book (and that great stuff is true!) and so I thought I’d give it a try. The book was very emotional and I like books that make me feel things like compassion. I also like books that make you think. It looked altogether good, especially since the summary doesn’t really give a summary and makes you wonder what will happen.

    Bruno, a nine year old boy, has to move to a house called out-with and is NOT happy about it.  But when he finds a concentration camp by exploring he finds a boy his age on the other side of the fence (or farm in Bruno’s eyes) in striped pajamas like everyone else on the “farm.”  He meets this boy whose name is Shmuel and ends up making a great friend who ends up replacing his 3 best friends for life. Though with the merciless compassion from heartless Lieutenant Kotler it’s hard to see each other. This book is a great book about friendship and compassion.

2 comments: