Thursday, March 29, 2012

I Hadn't Meant to Tell You This by Jaqueline Woodson

Book Review by Claire H. - 5th grade

This story is realistic fiction, and has won the Coretta Scott King Award.  It is about two unlikely friends helping each other through tough times, and finding peace within the world of segregation.

In an all black town, a white girl starts coming to school.  Her name is Lena, and Marie and Lena, though it takes some time and fights, become friends.  Lena, though, has a secret.  Her mother died of breast cancer and her sister, dad, and herself live together. Her dad abuses Lena and her sister, and they need to run away.  Marie doesn't want them to though, because she didn't want them to leave her like
                                     her mother had.

I can make a connection to Lena because a few years ago, I had to leave OLL, and at the other school, people made fun of me and called me names like the black people did to Lena, and I know what she was going through.   I recommend this book to anyone who likes suspense, friendship, and reading things that make you feel good combined into one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment